Of 7,625 patients with celiac disease, 4,317 (57 percent) had healed on the follow-up biopsy, while the remaining 3,308 patients (43 percent) had persistent villous atrophy. The investigators found that overall, patients with celiac disease had an annual lymphoma risk of 67.9 per 100,000, a 2.81-fold increase compared with the general population risk of 24.2 per 100,000. Those with persistent villous atrophy had a larger annual risk: 102.4 per 100,000, compared with those with healed intestines, whose risk was 31.5 per 100,000. According to the authors, these findings support the end-point of mucosal healing as a goal for patients with celiac disease so as to reduce lymphoma risk. Biopsy of small intestine showing normal villi. (Photo: Govind Bhagat, MBBS, professor of pathology and cell biology, CUMC) “When a patient with celiac disease is initially diagnosed, intestinal biopsy shows flattening of villi, the long, fingerlike projections that normally absorb nutrients and fluid,” the University said in a news release . Those who have the disease experience symptom such as diarrhea, weight loss, and iron-deficiency anemia, result from damaged villi. Some physicians will have their patients undergo a follow-up biopsy to intestinal healing. Researchers stated in a the news release they known for years that patients with celiac disease have an increased risk of lymphoma, but the intestinal healing and its timing affect that risk. There has not be confirmed link between healing on intestinal biopsy and clinical risk factors until now. “Our study shows that celiac patients with persistent villous atrophy-as seen on follow-up biopsy-have an increased risk of lymphoma, while those with healed intestines have a risk that is significantly lower, approaching that of the general population,” said study first author Benjamin Lebwohl, MD, MS, assistant professor of medicine, member of the Celiac Disease Center, and assistant professor of epidemiology at the Mailman School of Public Health, at CUMC, and a gastroenterologist at NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia. Lymphoma is a type of blood cancer that occurs when white blood cells (lymphocytes), which help protect the body from infection, divide faster than normal or surpass their typical life expectancy. The cancer can develop in the blood, bone marrow, lymph nodes, spleen, and other organs; Lymphoma may form tumors. “Guidelines about routine follow-up biopsy are inconclusive, but this study may convince physicians that the follow-up biopsy can carry important prognostic information,” Lebwohl said. Giant Snails Invade Miami, Labradors Ready To Take Them On; Pests Eat Houses And Kill Plants, Officials Willing To Try Anything To Get Rid Of Them The snails have become a huge problem in the community after the first one was Hartford Nightclub Fatal Shootings: Up Or On the Rocks Shuts Down After 2 Young Men Die Outside Club In A Week A popular nightclub in Hartford, Conn.

get more info http://www.hngn.com/articles/9467/20130806/celiac-disease-causes-intestinal-damage-linked-increased-risk-lymphoma.htm

Advertisements